Monday, December 28, 2009

What I got for Christmas:

A trip to Italy. It was difficult to wrap and I opened it a few weeks before Christmas, but it will always be one of my favorite gifts from my sweet husband. We returned to a crazy blur of Christmas preparations, houseguests, holiday parties, and finals and grading for Rob. Italy was a photographer's paradise and Rob took over 1200 pictures, so we've been sorting through them all.
Sorry for the wait (for those of you who have been patiently waiting)! I will do 3 posts with a few highlighted pictures. If you want to see more, click on a photo to link to the entire album.

Our first stop was Turin, where Rob was presenting a paper at a conference. Poor Rob only got a few hours to see Turin and then was locked up in his conference for 2 full days. He presented with his colleague, John, so I hung out with John's wife, Martha. She is also a professor at UNCC and was lots of fun. She and I had some fun adventures on public transportation. We took an old-fashioned cog train up a 20% graded hill to an cathedral with a 360-degree view of the city and surrounding Alps. We had amazing pizza, visited the city park, a medieval castle & village, and the open-air market.
From Buon Natale

From Buon Natale

From Buon Natale

Turin is the birthplace of Nutella and Ferrero Rocher--basically the beginning of chocolate in Europe. There were beautiful pastry shops on every street and I had a taste of heaven in the the AMAZING hot chocolate we had in a small cafe near the market. It was like molten dark chocolate pudding and a taste I'll never forget.
From Buon Natale

I had no expectations for Turin and was very pleasantly surprised with how lovely it was. I felt sad Rob didn't get to see and do the fun things I got to do. (But he DID get a 12 course Italian meal at the conference that apparently made up for it!)
From Buon Natale

No comments: