Monday, December 28, 2009

Florence in Florence

From Buon Natale

Finally. The first part of our trip was more about letting things unfold, but we had plans for Florence. See the Duomo (but don't climb the dome. No more stairs, please.), Uffizi Gallery (paintings), Bargello Museum (sculpture), Ponte Vecchio (famous bridge), gelato. Done, done and done.
Pleasant surprises: Santa Croce church, people watching (it was a holiday weekend with lots of Italian families in festive spirits), and of course, the food. (Oh, the food!)
From Buon Natale
From Buon Natale
From Buon Natale
From Buon Natale

Special highlights for me were seeing Ghiberti's bronze doors at the baptistery
From Buon Natale
and Donatello's David. (Not the more famous David, but the one I really wanted to see because I remembered studying it in Art History.) I almost talked myself out of the sculpture museum, but Rob talked me back into it. He's a good one and he made good on his promise to take me to Florence. Time to come up with another lofty goal...

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Flori, what beautiful pictures! I am so jealous and hope that one day I can go to Italy, especially Florence. It looked fabulous and I'm glad you had a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Kimo said...

Italy is one of my favoritest places on earth!!!! I am jealous looking at all your pictures! We have plans to go back there again soon! Glad you enjoyed the Cinque Terre...the last time we were there was in the high season, and it was so overrun with tourists, it was really hard to enjoy it. But it is a beautiful place, and I love the photo you posted of Vernazza (my favorite of the five).

What a wonderful Christmas gift! Way to go Rob!

Alison B said...

Flori,
you look so genuinely happy in all of these pictures. I can tell you had the time of your life and I'm so happy for you. The pictures are gorgeous, but i'm sure it was much better in person. YOu are one lucky girl. I'm so glad you had a great time! Sounds fun.