Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is Santa real?


Sarah has been serious in her quest for an answer this year. No matter how many times I try to evade the conversation, she keeps cornering me with her questions. The other day she said, "Fine. If you won't answer me, I'll just look it up on the internet." I had the computer on, so she turned and googled "Is Santa real?" She read all the opinions and then said, "I think Santa Claus was a real person and he really gave toys to children, but I don't think he's still alive. I just can't figure out who brings the presents. Is it a grandma?"




I'm telling you, that girl is too smart for her own good. In the last week, we've had conversations about interest and collateral, the various definitions of the word 'suit' (and also 'suite' and 'soot') and the origin of the term 'shotgun' in a car. She proposed the theory that if policemen are riding in a car, one needs to drive and one needs to sit in the other seat where he can shoot the shotgun at bad guys. She also wrote a note to her teacher right before the break requesting a seat change. Sarah wrote, "I'd like to be moved away from the other kids because they are distracting me. I'm a high level thinker, and I need more quiet so I can think." She got the seat change.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I love it. What a cute, bright girl you have there. Is she really reading Tolkien books already? Oh and that letter to her teacher is awesome. I aspire to be a "high level thinker" myself but all the kids in my house keep distracting me too ;)

Melinda said...

We have been avoiding the same discussion at our house. Lucky for us, our little guy has not been introduced to Google :) What an adorable smarty you have! We sure wish you were all here right now! Maybe that is what I should have asked Santa for this year!

Mariposa said...

"me. me also. also me. I'm really close on this one!"

klchristensen said...

I loved the pictures of the girls and their new Christmas gifts. Your Italy photos are fantastic too. Thanks for the efforts to keep up your Blog. Dad C.