
I love to write. Not just the creative process, but I love the actual mechanics of putting pen to paper. I think better and write better when I write by hand. This week my after-hours project has been finishing a lengthy letter to my friend, Mary Anne. She and I carry on our friendship by writing absurdly long letters to each other. We often make copies of these newsy and personal letters for our journals before posting them. I don't write in my journal much, but I do write about my life in letters, so it makes sense to have a copy, don't you think?
I was therefore disturbed a few months ago when I read this Newsweek article entitled "The Curse of Cursive", arguing the uselessness of handwriting. Say What? My favorite quote:
"As historian Tamara Plakins Thornton, the author of "Handwriting in America," explains it, penmanship represents a simpler, prettier way of life—slower and more personal, much like the handwritten note. In times of particular anxiety—war, recession, change—we tend to cling to these simplicities of the past as a way to maintain order over the present. So if loops and swirls make you feel better, be my guest. In fact, go buy a fountain pen. The economy needs all the help it can get."
Which brings me to my next point: writing is all the more pleasurable when you have the correct tools. I'm a blue Bic ball point girl myself. However, Rob kicked it up a notch a couple of years ago when he gifted me with this little beauty, the Rotring Core. I've done some of my best work with this pen and it's among my favorite posessions. I don't consider pretty stationery a writing essential, though I love it, collect it, and use it. I prefer basic white lined paper. Boring, but plenty of space for writing whatever comes to mind. I also think self-adhesive stamps are a modern-day miracle. I never did like licking stamps.
After years of evolution and experimentation, I'm at peace with my handwriting and even my signature. I remember a time (4th grade) when I conscientiously dotted my i's with hearts or changed my a's back and forth between styles. I learned cursive, but was never proficient in it--I liked my letters straight up, not all slanty. Now it's a mix of both--print and cursive all jumbled together, but flowing smoothly from my pen.
I'm fascinated with the art of handwriting analysis. I realized this year as I read my birthday cards how much I recognize and love the handwriting of my family and friends. I could see so much personality in those little notes--I knew just how my dad would look sitting with his red rollerball pen to sign the card. I love the little smiley face with the nose he does. I love the familiarity and shape of my mother's writing and her use of exclamation points! My college roommate's writing brings back memories of summer letters, to-do lists and class notes. And nothing can compare to a handwritten love note from your amore. Thanks to Rob's mission, we've got loads of those. I can still coax one out now and then. Lucky me.
I love what you can convey in handwriting that can't be shared by email. Ironic that I'm sending this electronically, no? Believe me, I considered writing individual notes this week. But I think I've written by hand to most of you. If I haven't, let me know. My pen stands ready and I've got lots of stamps waiting.
6 comments:
Are your stamps the nutcracker ones from christmas? I love your handwriting. Love and miss you guys.
I have a whole bag full of handwritten notes from you, folded nice and tiny - but, alas, no stamps . . . all from Jr. High. In fact, if I remember correctly, one of your lovely little handwritten notes, not so stealthily passed to me during French class, elicited a rather lengthy lecture from 'Madame Burton' that included the phrase "pathetic losers". Quel dommage!
Great post! I also love to write by hand, and LOVE cursive.
ching fwagh I can't remember how we use to spell it. I still have the story somewhere. I love you Flow!!!
alica
Hey Flori, fun to check out your blog! I am TOTALLY a fan of handwritten notes... let it never die! Just last week I wrote notes on my kids napkins in their lunches because that is what my Mom did once in a while too. One of my absolute favorite gifts to get is a stationary set. In fact I think that is why I fell in love with scrapbooking... all of the pretty papers and pens :). But you will laugh... this week there was a shop going out of business and for cheap I bought a WAX and STAMP set with the letter "O".... so I wrote several friends little card notes and sealed the back with my red wax scrolly letter "O"... it made my day. See... I am going way back in time now!
Cheers,Tracey
I love that you love HAND writing! I still love all our old college letters. I love your beautifully formed letters (your print is still some of the best print I've ever seen and makes me smile). I love that Rob buys you the best tools to encourage your best writing! I love you guys - and I miss you! Happy Handwriting!
Post a Comment