![]() |
| From Untitled Album |
She picked several, washed and sliced them, then dipped them in flour and fried them in butter. I had never tasted a morel before, but they were delicious and I felt so lucky to taste them fresh from the moldy ground.
That night around the dinner table I told the family about my culinary adventure and they were skeptical (as I was at first). Two days later Rob was mowing the lawn and found a single, huge (5 inches tall!) morel at the base of a tree. I cooked it up for dinner that night and shared the joy of earth's springtime bounty. They were more impressed by the novelty than the taste, but I'm hooked.
![]() |
| From Untitled Album |
The short-lived morel season is over for now, but you can bet I'll be watching next spring!


3 comments:
I read about these in the book 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle', but I had no idea what they looked like - strange.
We just went Morel hunting here in Indiana. Apparently it's quite the hoosier past-time. They keep their hunting grounds secret (these little buggers sell for 20-30 dollars a pound to the restaurants and grocers in the area. We found that dead elms and May apples are the things to look for when hunting Morels. We are going hunting this weekend for them down around Spring Mill. We sure miss you guys! Have a great weekend!
I was almost green with envy when I saw that picture! I thought you were holding out on me! Glad I could share my secret hunting grounds with you.
Post a Comment