Friday, October 1, 2010

Welcome Autumn

We are still enjoying unseasonably warm temperatures, but we welcomed Fall anyway with a few of our favorite family traditions. We checked out Dupont State Forest in the NC mountains and hiked to a couple of waterfalls last Saturday. We had a picnic lunch on the giant flat rocks out in the middle of the river. We also had a few accidental slips in the water and ended up "swimming" in the cool, still water below the falls.

I know I personally really enjoyed the multiple trips to the super unsavory port-a-potties. Rob's favorite part was trying out his new macro lens. I ask, which of us has more fun? :)

We changed into dry clothes (cause I'm brilliant and packed some!) and headed to Sky Top Orchard to pick apples. Mutsu apples were on and we picked a bunch; they are soooo delicious and just what I love in an apple. It was late afternoon, so we enjoyed a quiet walk around the orchard and some hot cider doughnuts, which are not to be missed, EVER.

No trip to the mountains is complete without a stop at Harry's and Piggy's for cheeseburgers and ice cream. Good thing we were hiking all day (and eating doughnuts...er...) so we burned all those calories!

4 comments:

Krista said...

Ha I love it. Conus and burgers sound like a great treat to me. I haven't had a mutzu apple. Sounds interesting. And how delish to have hot donuts.

Kimo said...

I love Mutsus and cider donuts! And I must say, you are brilliant! Way to go Mom! ...Oh, and I think you have more fun;).

Maggie said...

Happy fall! Wish I could have been there. Hope you guys are doing well.

Kristine said...

Beautiful girls! And beautiful falls, leaves, scenery! Sounds like the perfect fall traditions.