Thursday, March 11, 2010

Teenage Social Studies




Tonight Maddie was outlining the benefits (again) of having either a cell phone or facebook account. Her pleas fell on deaf ears--we're seriously numb by now--until Flori caught Maddie's parting shot:

"I NEED A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT BECAUSE SOCIALISM IS REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME."

I can't wait for friend requests from Vlad, Karl, and Friedrich. Here's to being uncool, unsocial parents.

Cool image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marx_Engels_Lenin.svg

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with Maddie. 'Socialism' is the way of the future. It seems that is the way the US is headed.

But seriously Megan I have chatted a bunch about this lately and I am curious if you think that Facebook would be bad for Maddie, or do you just think it is not necessary? At what age will you let her use Facebook or is this a "Not under my roof you don't." Just curious.

klchristensen said...

Dear Rob and Flori
BE STRONG
pierced ears at a certain age
facebook at a certain age like college
cell phone at a certain age like maybe high school
every age has a priviledge So glad it is you not me.

Teuscher said...

Brian and I have laughed and laughed over this. Maybe because we know we'll be facing the same conversations in the not so distant future!

Jess said...

Hilarious! Totally on your page about the cell and the facebook!

Melinda said...

One family I know bought a "kids" phone. When a child went somewhere they were allowed to take it but when at home it was not in their possession. It did not go to school with anyone unless they had an afterschool activity. I think this set-up can meet the need of keeping in touch with your kids but not letting them be in touch with everyone else. Good luck! Our oldest has asked for one for Christmas the past two years and he is only 7!

Melinda said...

definitely a no on the facebook for me - it was too much for me as an adult - who needs to know that kind of information about people - really?

Charity Bradford said...

Ashlee went to a friend's house and opened a facebook. Luckily, she added us as parents so we found out and made her delete it. So, according to her WE are the world's worst and most unfeeling parents on the planet. Maybe Maddie can take comfort in that?

Now I feel the need to look for my daughter every so often to make sure she hasn't wised up to the tip off and tried again.

Mariposa said...

hahahahahahahahah! oh, maddie...i love it!