Monday, February 23, 2009

February Faves



A few highlights of our month....Most of you probably don't know that red velvet cake is very popular in the south. I don't personally think it's anything special. BUT we did discover a homemade red velvet cheesecake at a local diner that is really something else! We splurged on a whole cake this month--sharing some at a dinner party and the rest as a celebration for all three girls getting straight A's in school. Hooray for brain food! (And check out Maddie's awesome greek vase project!)

After several windy storms, we had a very tall tree leaning into another very tall tree. They began to make an eery sound swaying together and we had visions of them crashing down one windy night. Luckily, we count an arborist among our friends, so he provided a good afternoon of entertainment for all the neighborhood kids as he took that tree down. Next project: Treehouse.

We were surprised to have a second "snow day" from school this month! Yes, that light dusting you see on the ground was enough to shut things down for the day, so we enjoyed a few hours of playing in the snow and it was nicely cleared up by the next morning!

The elementary school Daddy/daughter dance has become quite the festive tradition. Dads and daughters from our neighborhood joined together for dinner at Jason's Deli and then headed off to the dance. I think next year we'll have to drop the dinner though--both Eloise and Sarah came home with tummy aches after dancing on a full stomach. This was probably not helped by all the cookies and soda they consumed at the dance!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Sounds like a fun tradtion with Rob & the girls!!!

Andrew | Susan | Grayer said...

What great pictures of the girls!! Is that the red velvet cheese cake from the restaurant, In the Key of C? That place was good!! We need to go there again:) We miss you guys, we need to come out sometime so you can meet Grayer!! Love you!

Maggie said...

I love the picture of Rob and the girls. Fun to see pictures!

Jess said...

I don't love cake, but my mom always made red velvet cake for Valentines and I loved it!! I want to make that red velvet cheesecake!!!