Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Homemade Granola Bars

I keep wanting to post some of my favorite recipes, but every picture I take of the food makes it look so unappealing that you wouldn't want to try the recipe. So I'm going to skip the pictures and share the recipes anyway. Food photography is a valuable art, but creating the food is even more important!

This recipe comes from the Idaho Falls 15th Ward Cookbook (the ward where Rob grew up) and it's one of our family favorites--sort of like glorified Rice Krispie treats!

Granola Bars
1/2 cube (1/4 cup) margarine
32 large marshmallows**
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered milk
4 cups dry granola, nuts, and coconut. (I use a fruit & nut flaked cereal blend and add a little coconut)

Melt margarine and marshmallows in a large bowl in the microwave. Add peanut butter and dry milk, then stir to blend. Add cereal, nuts and coconut. Press into a 9 x 13 pan. Let set up and then cut into bars.

**I ran out of marshmallows and tried using part Marshmallow Creme on yesterday's batch and it really didn't work at all. They tasted the same, but didn't stick together--another reason there's no picture.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

That's one we have never tried...we will have to make it soon! Thanks for sharing! You are always great to try new recipes!

tommy said...

only a LeBaron would ever Marshmallow cream and not real marshmallows. looks tasty though.