Our tale begins back in September while coming home from a Saturday church activity. On that warm autumn day we passed an older car that was stranded in the middle of the road as traffic zipped around it. Rob-eneezer's typical attitude--especially with his car full of girls--would be to zip right by as well. However, Mrs. Flori Cratchit noticed the nice couple still inside the stranded car and prompted ol' 'Neezer to pull off the road at the next drive.
I walked back and helped the gentleman push the car off the road next to our van. It was there that we had the pleasure of making Bob and Francis Kiser's acquaintance. They had been out in their restored 1960's Pontiac when they ran into trouble. We made room for the Kisers in our van, stopped by our house for a gas can, and (after many refusals for compensation) got them off and running in no time.
Some days later we received a lovely thank you note from the Kisers with a genuine invitation to come and visit them, see some of the cars they restore, and to run over to their friend's "car barn" for a real treat. In part because the Kisers do not have children/grandchildren of their own, we decided that this was something not to miss and that it would be especially nice around the holidays.
Today Bob and Francis welcomed us to their lovely home. We visited for a while and the conversation soon turned to a 45 foot motor home they had parked behind their home (the proverbial elephant outside the room). The told us they were keeping it for their wealthy friends, whose wealth held no sway over condo rules prohibiting the parking of motor coaches. The Kisers took our fascinated girls on their first tour of a motor home. Sally quickly noticed that the (glass) shower door provided very little privacy--although she thought the washer & dryer and two 30 inch TVs more than made up for it.
What could top a motor home? Bob's Model As & Ts that he restores in the building behind the motor home. The girls got to sit in one of them and hit the horn (ahoooooga). Bob promised we could go cruising this spring (25 MPH top speed).
The Kiser's then treated us and the Morrises to a "steak dinner"--all soda is a Coke in Charlotte, and all entrees are apparently steak dinners. Bob, Zeb, and I opted for prime rib while the girls settled on some of Dino's southern fried chicken. At the end of a wonderful afternoon and evening with our new friends we felt glad and blessed to have made "mankind our business" on that September afternoon. Thank you Mrs. Cratchit.
Merry Christmas from Charlotte and God bless you every one.





5 comments:
What a great post! You guys are troopers helping others out--but what a great reward in turn :) Bentley would have absolutely died to see and sit in all those cars. And the motor-home sounds totally sweet. Maybe they will let you borrow it and you can drive out here to Utah and come see us this summer!!
Guys, I know how you feel. If I had a dollar for every stranded murderer I've picked up on the side of the road, I'd be in a way nicer car than a 96' Subaru. The vintage cars sound sweet, and the "prime rib" delectable. As long as the "prime rib" wasn't really slow-roasted hitchhikers.
I loved this post and Flori it all came about because of you! What a fun visit too for everyone. I agree with care, you should borrow the motorhome and come visit. I'm sure they wouldn't mind!
Did you offer to park the motor home in your driveway? I'm glad that you guys were nice and picked up these new friends. Did you offer to take him for another cruise in your van?
What a great story! I'm glad you could overcome your suspicions (i.e. Rob-eneezer) and stop to help a stranded couple. I must say that every time I think of stopping to help a stranded motorist, my "he might be a raving lunatic/murderer/pretending to be stranded to make me stop so he can rob me person." It's nice that you could make some new friends out of the deal. Also, I have always loved your stories - you were always so creative!
Post a Comment