Friday, February 4, 2011

You can do it Bruce (one bite at a time)


(Rob) One of our favorite movies is Matilda, and one of our favorite parts is where Bruce Bogtrotter is forced by the principal to eat an enormous chocolate cake. With a little encouragement from his classmates he does the impossible . . . one bite at a time.


In 2009, I bought a running watch to track the distance of each run. I suppose I didn't set any concrete goals, but had hoped to log 1,000 miles within a year or so. It took nearly two years and several pairs of running shoes, but at the Chinese New Year I celebrated 1,011 miles . . . a handful of miles at a time.


Flori and I were listening to the girls practice piano yesterday. Flori said, "wow, they're sounding really great." The fruits of hours and hours of accumulated practice . . . thirty minutes at a time.



Flori is looking and feeling especially healthy and is meeting her fitness goals. She's avoided thousands of calories by skipping desserts . . . one day at a time.

So if you overhear us say, "you can do it Bruce," you'll know a slow but monumental change is underway.

Go Brucie!!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Nice work, all of you! Seeing those pics of Brucie make me feel sick. maybe I had too many sugar cookies yesterday.:) miss you guys.

Ruth Ann said...

I was impressed by the final comments on passing desserts! When I first started reading I thought Rob was going to tell us you guys just made a chocolate cake so rich that even Bruce couldn't have finished. Way to go my two runners and 3 piano players and of course Bea who can issue a mile string of words, just one sentence at a time. Mom

Tami Lowe Whiting said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!! One bite/mile/30 minutes at a time. You guys are my favorite.

Tami

klchristensen said...

I have wondered how you get a child to practice and finally become proficent at playing the piano. I thought it it was by being the meanest mother in the world. Keep up the meanest mother and father membership. It does pay off in the end. Had a conversation with Maddie about this one Sunday. I think she is going to still keep practicing. I hope I convinenced her. Flori I am so proud of you and your goals that you have set and then accomplished. Diligence is something I need to work on. Love Mom