I once knew a girl who told me that she changed her name when she was in first grade. She decided she wanted to be called by her middle name instead of her first name and never looked back. When she told me this, I wondered what kind of child would do such a thing. Now I know. What we thought would be passing fancy has not passed.

Sarah Jane returned to kindergarten this week and introduced herself as Sally and began signing her papers as such. We overheard her telling her sisters. “I just want a regular name like Sally. If mom and dad are really mad at me then they can say ‘Sarah Jane!’--but the rest of the time I’ll be Sally.” It has not been an easy transition for us, but she consistently reminds us when we forget, and will probably remind you too.
The older girls were telling us about a musical instrument they had seen in a performance at school. Maddie and Eloise were describing how it was kind of like a harp that you play in your lap and it came from India. Sarah (Sally!) looked up from her breakfast cereal and said, “Oh, you mean a hammer dulcimer?” Yes, a hammer dulcimer. Why didn’t we think of that? She’s the original.
In other news, Beatrice is officially rolling--as if trained by the US Army. She favors her left side, but we're hoping that won't keep her from battle school. The only hang up could be that she hasn't mastered rolling back.
3 comments:
We have just been rolling on the floor. That is the funniest, cutest little Sally in the world. I really think she might be able to pull it off. What do you guys think of her name? If you don't like it, you could just stay in a perpetually angry mood, so that you can call her Sarah Jane. Hilarious!
And hurray Beatrice!
that Sally is too much fun for us to read about!! we miss her--and all of you. I was so tempted to just book a flight with Nanny and bring the kids out with her this week but I figured you had enough stress already with such last minute plans. We DO want to find a time to come play--just need Joseph to recover some more vacation days after our busy summer.
cute Bea! cares love to watch her little movie and exclaim "baby!"
I'll do my best, Rob, to not be offended. But I guess I wanted my name to be Sam growing up...you know, in honor of Who's the Boss. At least we like the "S's" in our names.
Post a Comment